Influential Computer Programmers
Where do i start?
- The Knowledge Discovery Assistant (KDA) provides Research Starters to help you focus your initial research.
- Britannica School offers traditional encyclopedia articles that can verify dates, spelling, and other details. Britannica School also links to magazine articles, web sites, and media for your research.
- Credo has Topic Pages, Mind Maps, and plenty of reference titles to help you get started off with solid information.
- Oxford Reference doesn't' offer any specific tools to help with your research. However, it is an authoritative reference database that includes many reference works that are standards in their field. It's a great resource. If you're having trouble finding information using the above databases, give Oxford Reference a try.
- Biography in Context (Gale)
- Biography Reference Bank
- Biography Reference Center
- Science in Context (Gale) (Digital Access Card)
- Science Reference Center
For this project you will want to perform a subject search retrieve the best results from our databases.
1. After logging into the Knowledge Discovery Assistant (KDA), select the
Advanced Search option located under the search box.
2. Select the SU Subject Terms field using the drop down menu located to the right of the search box.
3. Enter the name of the programmer you're' researching into the Search Box and click on Search.
4. Depending on the number of "hits" you retrieve from the database, you may need to limit or expand your search using the tools on the left-hand sidebar.
5. Please don't hesitate to ask Mr. Kilburn for help if you need assistance.
For full-length biographies (aka books) are available from many sources, but the 3 listed here are your best bets for this project. EBSCO eBooks is Highland's eBook collection accessible through the KDA. eBooks and Texts is part of the Internet Archive and is an Open Education Resource. LCPL is the Lake County Public Library. The link will take you to their eBooks page, and you can check out materials using your Digital Access Card.
Podcasting with GarageBand on iPad
List of Programmers
- Grace Hopper
- Ada Lovelace
- Bill Gates
- Alan Turing
- Peter Djikstra
- Katherine Coleman Goble Johnson
- Steve Jobs
- George Boole
- Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi (algorithm)
- Alexis Ohanian
- Charles Babbage
- Vint Cerf
- YOU ARE A COMPUTER SCIENTIST!
- Ian Spalter
- Marvin Minsky
- Margaret Hamilton
- Mark Zuckerberg
- Hari Parvati
- Markus Alexej Persson
- Eric Barone
- Guido van Rossum
- Bob Kahn
- Shigeru Miyamoto
Databases vs. Internet
Source Evaluation Tools
evaluating web sites